The InDesign Extension
The Redokun extension for InDesign provides two main functionalities:
- It adds metadata for every text frame to your InDesign document. This metadata will be used by Redokun to calculate the correct order of the text and the exact location when using threaded text frames. Notice that even without the extension, the generated document will retain the original correct order of all sentences.
- It automatically sets up InDesign so that every time you save the file, the document previews will be generated or updated. Redokun uses these previews in the Web Editor to help the translator understand where the translations will appear.
You can install it from here:
Install the InDesign extension
(Click on the "Free" button in the linked page)
After installing the extension, you won't need to do anything else, as it will activate automatically every time that you save an IDML file.
Make sure to have the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Application installed, otherwise the extension will not be activated in InDesign. Download the Adobe Create Cloud Desktop application from here: Download.
By default, the extension activates when saving an IDML file. This behaviour can be changed using the "Settings" dialog on the "Redokun" menu that will appear in InDesign after installing the extension.
There are currently 3 options:
- "Automatically": Index an IDML file every time that it's saved (recommended)
- “Automatically (Silent mode)": Index an IDML file every time that it's saved but don't show any dialog or progress bar. This option prevents any conflict with other InDesign plugins (e.g., for batch exporting)
- "Ask each time": Every time that the file is saved in IDML file format, you will be asked if you want to index the file before saving. This option comes in handy if you are exporting IDML files for other applications and you don't plan to upload the file on Redokun.
Documents that are imported with the extension activated will show this label when moving the mouse on top of “Revision”:
If you're currently using our old “Redokun Power Tools” script, we suggest deleting it and installing the new extension since it provides the same features and will receive automatic updates through Adobe Exchange.
If you are having trouble installing the extension
If you were unable to install the extension using the Creative Cloud desktop app, go through the following steps:
- Make sure that "File sync" is enabled in the Adobe Creative Cloud application
- Follow the instructions in the official Adobe troubleshooting page
- Or you can install the extension manually following the instructions below
Installing the extension manually
You can also install the extension manually but keep in mind that the extension will not receive automatic updates:
- Download the Anastasiy’s Extension Manager from this link http://install.anastasiy.com and install it.
- Download the Redokun extension from this link: Download
- Open the Anastasiy’s Extension Manager
- Drag and Drop the “Redokun - Translation tool.zxp” inside Anastasiy’s Extension Manager
- Follow the installation steps
Adobe Exchange: If you're not familiar with Adobe Exchange, it's the official Adobe extension directory. Every Adobe CC user has free access to it, and it currently contains more than 3,000 plugins.